Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10/9/13

Small Moment


As I looked down at the ground I suddenly realized how high up I was on the high ropes course at camp copneconick.  I felt sweat running down my face as I stared at the hardest opstical I was about to do.  As I grasped the rope I slowly climbed on to the first log.  I inched forward very slowly as I reached for the second rope on the log.  "Don't look down" I thought and in a panick I reached for the second logs rope but as I did so I nearly fell off.  I leaned backwards hoping to regain my balance when I slowly slid onto the second log.  I heaved a sigh as again I inched forward a little to fast and using the rope that kept me suspended in the air as a balance I took hold of the next rope.  By this time it felt like I would never get off and even though the last log was next the ending platform seemed so far.  I used my strength as I swung forward on the log I was on and grasping the rope of log number three.  I leaned forward and firmly planting my foot on the final log I slipped and was sent dangling in the air held up by nothing but a weak brittle rope.  As I tried to pull myself up onto to the third log I slowly tried to plant my feet on it again.  When I finally did I stood still to scared to move.  By now I was really scared so I took a small step and reached for the next rope desperately.  When I concluded I would have to let go of the rope I was already holding onto to reach the last one I did so slowly.  I carefully let go of the rope I had been holding but to my despair the log started moving back and forth!  Jiggling so rapidly I leaned forward and was sent sprawling in the air for a second time!  As the swinging slowed down I slowly reached out for the final rope a second time and as my hand grasped it tightly I used all the strength I had left in me to pull myself up.  When my feet were firmly planted on the final log I reached my foot out for the final platform that was finally right in front of me.  When my foot had reached it I let my other foot reach out to.  As I leaned forward I let go of the rope and with a deep sigh of relief I stood up on the final platform and in one panting breath I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment