Wednesday, November 12, 2014

11/12/14



My Aunt Ingrid

You know when bad things happen? When things happen that you know you could have helped prevent? Well last year that happened to me. And, it was one of the most dreadful experiences of my life.

It all started one late afternoon. I was sitting in my bed doing my math homework. Nothing on my mind but the answer to 3.45 divided by 6x. I heard a soft rap on the door. 

"Tap, tap, tap."

What do they want now? I thought, still distracted by my math.

"Come in."

 The door creaked open and in came my sisters Samantha and Anna along with my mom. 

"What, I am trying to do my homework" I said feeling slightly annoyed.


"I know sweetie but there is something you need to know." 

I could already start to make out the lines under her eyes and the red marks around them. And usually when someone looks like that it means something bad has happened. I could already guess what it was.

"Your Aunt Ingrid has died. She passed away last night." My mom whispered. Confirming my suspensions.  

I felt like I had just been run over with a truck.  I had known that she was sick and in need of a liver transplant but in my life I have noticed that most bad things turn to good, and I did not think this moment would come so soon. Suddenly my math was the last thing on my mind. I looked at my sisters and saw they were sad. I looked at my mom and saw she was sad as well. But, at that moment if you looked at me you would know I was devastated.

Come on Megan, don’t cry. Be strong for your sisters I thought.
 I felt a flood of tears welling up in my eyes as strong as a rain storm, as sad as a flood, and as powerful as a tsunami they slowly came out of my eyes and landed on my paper.
My sister climbed onto my bed next to me. I felt my sister head rest on my shoulder. Usually this would bother me. Usually I would push her off with a look of disgust on my face. But, in a time like this, were my entire family is hurting inside. I didn’t mind it. I didn’t mind that she was as I would say “Invading my personal space.”

"It's ok sweetie, she is still with us even though she is not actually hear." My mom said trying to provide comfort for my sisters and I.

“When is the funeral?” my sister Samantha questioned my mom.

“Next week on Thursday, you kids will have to miss school.”

“Well at least one good thing will come out of this!” I laughed trying to bring some happiness into the situation. Even though I was not actually happy. My sister Samantha shrugged and hopped down from my bed and headed towards the door. My mom gave me a half hearted smile and walked out closing the door with a click behind her.

When I was finally alone I flung myself down onto my bed, and buried my face into my pillow. I was letting the tears come now. Since I was alone, what’s the point of holding back?  

Looking back on that day now I wish I had gotten to know my Aunt better. I wish I had seen her more, and found out more about her. But I learned when you love someone and they die, they never leave you they are always with you in your heart, mind, and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment